Its a date !!!
The sun’s shining and we’er melting but that’s no reason to hold off your family shoot. It’s all about planning, and lets face it, whilst we melt just a little, it’s so much nicer than our usual drizzle and grey sky.
So here are a few tips to avoid hot sweaty irritable kids ( and adults).
- The sunrise and sunsets at this time of year are soon early and quite late ! And whilst i know a lot of you are up early with your brood Im not sure a 5am photoshoot is on most parents wish list (or mine) and no one wants to keep the kids up past bedtime so what’s the compromise.
- It’s morning shoots all the way, especially outside, start as early as you can but more importantly avoid the sun when it’s at it’s highest and look for shade/ dappled light. If you kids are older an early evening shoot can also work but this is very much age and bedtime dependant.
- The locations – this is the fun bit, whilst most of my clients love the idea of and outdoor shoot, it’s always been that last minute thing of checking the weather for rain or praying it will hold off long enough. But with this summer, the worlds your oyster when it comes to locations, a woodland walk, a family picnic, a trip to the beach ( one of my personal favourites ) and if you’er making a day of it, why not let me join you for part of it and really capture some great memories and i’m not afraid to get my toes wet.
- It goes without saying in this heat to keep hydrated, and the majority of parents bring snacks, but don’t tell the kids, these can be used as a reward (bribery if needed) but just remember to keep them small and the less messy the better ( you don’t want strawberry juice all down that white top).
- Remember it’s fun and as they saying goes, time flies when you’er having fun.
- Whilst I allow between 40 minutes and an hour and a half ( longer if needed) for the shoot. I know that most little ones don’t have a long attention span and would rather be doing something else ( as would the dad’s) so i’ve learnt to work fast and know when the kids are getting to the stage they have had enough. So when they do get to the stage where enough is enough, don’t push for more, let them take a break ( have a snack) or call it.
- What it means for you is that the shoot is relaxed but is paced to work with your kids and the environment of the shoot. I’ll always be guided by the small ones and make sure I walk away with a good range of images within the time.
At the end of the day, kids are kids, let them be just that, complete with silly smiles and funny faces.
With the summer holidays starting it’s the perfect time to book in your family session, get in touch to find out about our midweek specials coming soon.
In the meantime check out this gorgeous families shots from a few weeks back.
I’m Alexandra – an award-winning natural light newborn, baby and family photographer based in Surrey. I specialise in creating natural family photographs. I work all over London, Surrey and the South East, including Cobham, Esher, Thames Ditton, Richmond upon Thames, St Margarets, Twickenham, Teddington, Hampton, Kingston upon Thames, Surbiton, Kew, Chiswick, Putney, Fulham, Chelsea, Knightsbridge Notting Hill, Clapham, Wimbledon, Holland Park, Kensington, St John’s Wood, Hampstead and further a field.